Tuesday, October 6, 2009

In My Father's House

So as I said in my last post I finished Rocket Boys and it was a pretty good book. As soon as I finished that book I started a new one. This time I am reading this book called In My Father's House. It is written by Ann Rinaldi and takes place in the Civil War Era. It’s about this girl named Oscie Mason and her dad dies. Her mom gets remarried and she has a really hard time with it and gives everyone else a hard time. So I am on page 108 and what has just happened is Abraham Lincoln is elected and the people are mad so the war is starting to appear, people getting a bit skittish and really angry at one another. Also her tutor is leaving because battles are starting to appear in a few places. It is a really good book so far, I mean you get to see how life was back then. You get to see how they lived and how it was before the war, politics and all. You see the contention that the war brings to families and how they try to get through. I have never really read any books on the Civil War so this is new for me. I have seen movies on the Civil War, and one of my favorites is Gettysburg. You get to see some sad, but tough battles and you get to learn about real people in the war - not made up characters. The book is 317 pages so I don’t think that it will take me that long to finish it. I am hoping that the ending isn’t sad because I don’t like sad ending books. I am looking forward to learning some more from the book though about the Civil War, and I am sure that the rest of the book will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment